Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Stress and Bees: My mortal enemies



By Joy Mizzoni

 







There are numerous ways to deal with stress. You can drink it away, sleep it away or indulge in a myriad of activities designed to provide momentary relief from matters at hand.

Personally, I like the "ostrich" approach. I like to ignore little problems until they divide and multiply like amoebas. (Yes I had to double check if amoeba's actually do multiply before I used that simile...which they do. So there.)

How much stress do we create in our lives?

Let me rephrase that, how much stress do we CHOOSE to create in our lives by making no choice at all?

Recently, I've been questioning my sanity. Being a geographically-displaced New Yorker, I accept the fact I'm slightly more outspoken and passionate than some; but I'm basically sane. I'm kind, giving, and open minded. I accept others' advice and try to be accountable for my mistakes.

That qualifies as sanity, right?

But take one teaspoon of my so-called "passion" and mix in one-half cup "stress" plus add a few table spoons of "daily life" and then stand back...the lid's gonna blow!

Last week, I had two flat tires and some other unexpected expenses. Then there were my ex-in laws, you know, the Hatfields to my McCoys?  It was a recipe for the perfect storm and I am still cleaning up the aftermath.


In the midst of emotional exhaustion, I realized the potential health hazards such continued levels of stress could cause. It was then, realizing the hard cold truth that I'm almost 40, that I truly became aware that conflict, at this sort of level, could potentially result in, well, death. No, not my ex mother-in law's death (shame on you!) ....but my own.

I never thought about a heart attack before.

Or a nervous breakdown.

How many straws does it take to break the camels back?

No one knows.

Until it's too late.

That's some serious stuff right there.

I'm a mother of two young girls. I try to eat right, exercise, and I quit smoking cigarettes years ago. I'm also allergic to bees and yellow jackets. I always thought it was absurd that a small little stinging bug could take out this tough Sicilian gal. I scoff at you bee! (unless you get too close...then I will run away really really fast).

Stress? Ha. I laugh in the face of stress! Stress and me -- we go way back. If anyone can deal with stress, it's your humble blog hostess.

No wait. "Deal" is the wrong word. What I really mean is, "ignore."  I ignore stress. I laugh it off. I crack wise ass jokes. I smile. I giggle. I bat my eyelashes like a carefree debutante.

At least I did. Now, I'm not so sure I want to keep poking the proverbial beehive. It was an eye-opening week. I felt my mortality. It has stymied my creativity and, honestly, has scared the freaking bejeezus out of me.

Mid life crisis? Maybe. Maybe not.

A wake-up call? Definitely.

Stress IS dangerous. I don't care how strong you are, how much you've been through or whatever other super powers you "think" you possess. Trust me...stress floats like a butterfly...but stings like a bee.














 

1 comment:

LIKE MY ART PAGE!

LIKE MY ART PAGE!
Visit Joy Fine Art on Facebook!