Total Pageviews

Friday, July 20, 2012

Expect the unexpected, especially when the going gets good





By Joy Mizzoni
AcitonCOACH Spokane

I listen to Dr. Tom Curran during my morning commute to work. Although I don’t necessarily agree with all the theological doctrine, his positivity and real-world application of the wisdom behind his religious philosophies are pure gold. Even when he is discussing a controversial topic that goes against my artsy liberal good senses, the way in which he puts forth his argument is amazingly compassionate. Never once have I heard him speak negatively about any human being. There are actions and decisions that he disagrees with, but I have never heard him speak unkindly about the person or group of people who are performing those actions.  

I don’t know Dr. Curran personally; having said that, I base my opinion solely on what I hear during his program.  I would like to think he doesn’t live his life in raving hypocrisy, but you never know.  Consider this my disclaimer that I am in no way endorsing him, his religious views, political stances, etcetera , etcetera, etcetera.  Moving on….

Today’s discussion was about the unforeseen challenges that ensue when one commits to incorporate faith into their daily lives.  Although he spoke of demonic forces awakening to thwart your godly intensions, one could also apply this to broader terms: committing to a goal, a dream, or a decisive way to live your life according to your personal values. 

He explained that once you make a commitment, you should expect trials and tests. 

In other words, life’s a bitch. 

And that got me thinking…..

It’s the truth. 

One thing I have struggled with consistently is maintaining course when life starts throwing daggers through my dreams. I always say that sunny days make for easy focus.  It’s all the other days in between that throw me off track.  

Think about that. How many annual days of sunshine does Spokane actually have? How many of your days are problem-free? 

I’m not a scientist or a sociologist, or any type of “ist”, but I am confident in guessing most of your days may start off with rainbows and butterflies only to end in tornadoes and tsunamis. 

The reason I get blown off track so easily is that I never expect someone to rain on my parade. I never expect the unexpected.  I have consistently remained the opposite of steadfast. For example, once I catch up on my bills and commit to a budget, I never expect something to break on my Jeep or have an overdue bill to suddenly rear its ugly head.   The same with goals associated with exercise, work, art and social commitments.  I don’t expect pulled muscles, sore throats, sick kids, mental fatigue, or just plain laziness.  I set goals with the intention of perfection. I make commitments without regard to reality. 

Why, before this morning, did it never dawn on me to expect trials and tests? Distractions, disasters, deterrents. 

Dr. Currans used the demon analogy. For you atheists and agnostics, good old Murphy and his crappy laws will suffice. If something can go wrong, it will. And it usually does.  Please don’t label me as a naysayer or petulant pessimist. That isn’t true.  I am frequently blinded by optimism.  So much, I can’t see reality. Or at the very least, I don’t prepare for reality.  

What keeps knocking you off balance? What overwhelms you?  What tests do you keep failing? What demons keep popping up like mad rodeo clowns? How many times have you shared a shot of whiskey with that no-good Murphy? 

I am well aware that everybody has challenges in their life. Heck, life is hard even for the rich and famous! But, I wasn’t aware that it’s just a given. Just expect it.  Stuff happens. Constantly.  Consistently. Sometimes congruently.  

It’s just like those signs on the side of the road that say ‘watch for falling rocks’.  It’s advice to be taken literally.

Links about Dr. Tom Curran:



3 comments:

  1. I am so thankful to see your post here, I am really sure your idea is more useful for me.

    Business coach Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Did you somehow make all the settings of your domain on your own or you turned to professionals to get some help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very heart of your writing shilst sounding agreeable at first, did not settle very well with me personally after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you were able to make me a believer but just for a while. I nevertheless have a problem with your leaps in assumptions and one would do well to fill in those breaks. In the event you actually can accomplish that, I will definitely end up being fascinated.

    Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to grasp so much approximately this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something. I think that you simply can do with some% to force the massage house a bit, however other than that this is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.
    business coaching in toronto

    ReplyDelete

LIKE MY ART PAGE!

LIKE MY ART PAGE!
Visit Joy Fine Art on Facebook!